Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Programming Inside Out


I expected that a book published by the company who developed the application would, to a great extent, be the definitive source of information. Personally I learned more from the Help resource in Excel than this book. In particular, most books on programming begin by describing the basic types/structures/fundamentals then moving into more and more detail all the while providing insightful and informative examples, some of which are built upon through out the text.

Now I have programmed in many different languages before and understand the relative similarities (after all, aside from linguistics/semantics most languages are fundamentally the same), yet there was no substantive explanation regarding running the minimalist examples that were given. Moreover, how about providing some worthwhile examples that really illustrate programming Excel and making it work for you.

All-in-all this text was VERY disappointing and the only reason for two stars is that I got the book for free. If it were not for this fact, I would have given in one star. For anyone out there interested in Excel programming, please steer clear of this text and I wish I could direct you to something worthwhile but this was my first so we are all out of luck. Cheers!Buy Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Programming Inside Out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment