Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition - Red ( PRS600RC)


Sony PRS-600BC ClearTouch Anti-Glare Screen Protector


Ok, where to start? I guess with the title of this review. I do not believe that this is your average Sony product because I was really expecting so much more from a company with their reputation. So with no further adieu, here's my take on the Sony PRS600 eBook reader.

My first impression was that this eBook reader really comes across in its elegance. So in this respect the pictures simply can't do it enough justice. This really does come across as something that you will want to be seen with in business and personal surroundings. I went with the more standard black version as opposed to the other options, but the red might not a bad choice for someone that either wants to push the envelope, or simply make a statement.

One of the features that I really like about this device is the multiple memory card slots. This reader allows you to store your data on SD as well as the more proprietary Sony Memory Stick format. This is a very good feature for someone like me, that has had Sony cameras in the past (that I no longer use), which allow me to utilize those old memory cards that I just happen to have lying around. Also, because there are two separate slots on the top edge of the device, it should allow you to populate both slots with the cards of your choice, which should allow you the added benefit of keeping work and play geographically separated, which is another nice feature that you will not find on many of the other eBook readers.

The menus, I found, are fairly decent, but I found them to also be a bit lacking. For instance, there's no way to adjust contrast on the device. My concern with the ability to adjust contrast comes from one of my more major concerns with the amount of glare that this screen produces. Granted, for some it may not be much, but for me it's been a bit too much. That being said, I've recently come across the "Sony PRS-600BC ClearTouch Anti-Glare Screen Protector", which I've just purchased. Too bad that I didn't know about this when I purchased the reader, as I would definitely recommend this to anyone that is going to, or has purchased this device. Between that and the "Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition Cover with Light - Black (PRSACL6)" this device will be almost completely perfect.

Since this is the "touch edition", no review would be complete without addressing this functionality. The touch functionality really comes into play when you want to either flip pages, or when you're using the zoom feature to move the page around (since when in zoom mode, the zoom slider stays on the screen and the viewed page will need to be moved around in order to view any information that might be obscured from view).

Previously I was fairly undecided about this device. I would have loved the larger screen of say, the Kindle DX. But after having looked around Amazon a bit, I also realize that there are less ways to truly personalize the Kindle, as well as far less accessories available to make the Kindle better or correct any associated short comings. Also, while we're on the topic, even though the Kindle supports more formats it does not support the ePub format, which means that unless you plan to purchase all of your eBooks from Amazon, you probably want have too much available in the terms of other eBooks via anybody else. In all fairness though, while the Sony does support the MS Word format in terms of the .RTF file extension, it does not support the .DOC file extension, which the Kindle does ([...]).


As for the software, a coworker of mine advised me that prior to receiving this device that Sony's been quite lacking on their development of the eBook reader software. His one suggestion to me was to download the free Calibre eBook reader management software (which I found with a simple internet search). So I use the free Calibre eBook reader management software and have had none of the associated problems that I've seen mentioned in some of the other reviews.

Final Verdict:
For what it's worth, this is a really fairly nice eBook reader. Fit and finish are top notch, it works as advertised, is very appealing to the eyes, and fairly easy to navigate. My one recommendation would be to purchase the accessories as mentioned earlier, which should also help to make your eBook reader experience that much more enjoyable.
Realistically, no eBook reader will be 100% of what "you" really want an eBook reader to be. The trick seems to be in finding one that will meet the most of the requirements that you deem are most important to you.
Get more detail about Sony Digital Reader Touch Edition - Red ( PRS600RC).

0 comments:

Post a Comment