Western Digital My Book Pro Edition II 1.5 TB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/800 Desktop External Hard Drive WDG2TP15000N Order Now


I've owned this drive for about a year now, and I'm about to throw it in the trash, where it belongs.

I'm using it with Windows Vista with SP1. About once a day, the drive goes into overdrive mode. The fan spins up to full speed for about 15 minutes, then the drive shuts down (presumably from overheating).

The strange thing is that the "overdrive" mode starts even when the drive isn't being accessed particularly. It just decides it needs to cool down, and the noisy fan fights a losing fight to cool the dumb thing off.

I updated the firmware. That didn't help.

Steer clear. There are plenty of other low-cost RAID solutions that work.
Get more detail about Western Digital My Book Pro Edition II 1.5 TB USB 2.0/FireWire 400/800 Desktop External Hard Drive WDG2TP15000N.

0 comments:

Post a Comment